Little Birdie shaken but safe for the night.

One day early November 2015, my daughter was in our backyard when I heard her shouting for me. I ran outside to see her standing over a tiny bird that couldn’t fly. It was desperately trying to run away, fluttering and stumbling across the ground. I quickly wrapped my hands around it, picking it up. I wondered at the time if I would be bitten, I wasn’t.

The little birdie was shaking and we realised its leg was hanging limply. I carried it in my hands inside the house.   Little birdie just looked at me, he didn’t even have the strength to struggle. I felt something stir inside me, pity and I knew then it was up to me to help him. I contemplated what to do. It was too late to contact any bird rescue/havens and I felt it had a better chance with us so I decided to create it a bed in our bath.

I placed an old towel in the bottom of the bath and arranged some rags on top to give it a soft bed.  We gathered some foliage, placing around the bath to help birdie feel a little at home.  We made it as comfortable as we could but our next dilemma was what to feed it. We read up about native birds and identified “Little Birdie” as a White Cheeked Honeyeater and a suggested food source was cooked rice. I tried to feed it with the rice but it wasn’t interested.

My daughters wanted to immediately name it but I was concerned the shock may be too great and warned them it may not last the night. Later that night I held it in my


Little Birdie in his new home, our bath.

hands and sent healing energy to our little birdie. I continued to do this during our time together.


The next morning he was alive and well. We went to the pet shop and bought some special porridge for wild birds and suitable for Honeyeater’s. When we returned home I made the porridge and place it in a saucer. I held little birdie and popped its beak in the saucer. Little birdie didn’t do anything initially and I wondered if the food was no good when he suddenly stuck out an enormous tongue, furiously licking up the porridge. It was a funny sight and a relief.


 Little Birdie standing on 1 leg in Bath.

After a day or so we realised he wasn’t fully grown, an adolescent.  It had baby down on its chest!  Its wing wasn’t injured, being our original thought, it just didn’t know how to fly. We think he may have wrenched his leg falling from his nest.

After a couple of days we found he could stand unsteadily on one leg and he started to hop around the bath and perch on the sticks. He quickly got use to me handling him, sitting happily on my shoulder or in my hands.


Flit having a pat after flying lessons.

We named him “Flit”.

Flit grew stronger everyday, flying further and thriving.  After a week living in our bath, he graduated to his own little bird cage which he played happily in, jumping around and giving out the occasional chirp. He sat on my shoulder while I work. He loved my long hair and would burrow in amongst it whilst sitting on my shoulder playing; my girls found that hilarious.

He became steadier standing on his good leg so I decided to give him flying lessons by holding him in my hands and gently moving them up and down so he flapped his wings to balance.   After a day or so he flew off my hands landing safely on the ground on one leg.  Over time he started to fly further and further, freely flying in and out of his cage when he wanted.

One day I noticed his claw on his injured leg was moving and then gradually his leg appeared to gain movement. He started to hang of the side of his cage and started using both legs whilst perched on a stick. I’d like to think my channelled healing energy , powered with love and care had something to do with his healing process.

Photo on 18-11-2015 at 2.44 pm

    Flit sitting on my head while I worked.

After 3 weeks Flit was flying around the house easily. We started to put his birdcage outside and saw other White Cheeked Honey-Eater would fly over and sit on his cage for a little while. Flit would go berserk inside the cage when this happened. After 4 weeks, I knew it was time for him to go. He was very strong now, flying all around the house, his leg fully functional and it was clear he was desperate to be with his kind.  We had found him on the 6 November, 2015 and on the 6 December, 1 month later it was time to release him back to nature.

I’d spent a month taking care of little Flit and had grown attached.  I couldn’t bring myself to let him go so I asked my daughters to do it for me. They opened the cage door together and in a flash he flew out. We left the cage outside for a while hoping he might visit but we didn’t see him again. Although, we do see a family of Honeyeaters in our trees a lot and I’m sure Flit is with them.

All in Perfection

~ Catherine May Smith



Catherine May Smith, Abundance Life CoachCatherine May Smith Soul Abundance Coach

Catherine has successfully completed an Advanced Diploma in Financial Planning, Associate Diploma in Accounting, as well as being a Master Practitioner in Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). Catherine is an Energy Healer, obtaining Certificates in Reiki & Pranic Healing, Hypnotherapy and Time Line Therapy and has also completed an Angel Intuitive Communication Certification with World renowned Author Master and Teacher Doreen Virtue Ph.D.  She has had various articles published in the Nova Magazine.  


Be Sociable, Share!